Rome’s busiest airport is cutting operations to 60 per cent of capacity from Saturday, following fire damage last month.
Rome Fiumicino airport will start “progressively reducing” its overall capacity with a complete shutdown of Terminal 3 for all departing passengers.
The airport has not indicated how long the closure will last.
The Italian civil aviation authority Enac said the “precautionary measure” was taken because of security concerns from overcrowding, following the fire which damaged part of the airport.
“Operative capacity at Rome Fiumicino will be progressively reduced for a few days from 80% to 60% of the normal operations level for this period, also in order to reduce inconveniences for passengers,” Enac said in a statement.
Enac added that its other terminals will have an improved shuttle service during the disruption and operations at the arrival area of T3 will remain unchanged.
Italy’s national carrier Alitalia said it would concentrate check-in operations in Terminal 1, while Air France-KLM said it expected to reduce services from Rome.
Rome airport has advised passengers to contact their airline operators in advance of departure to check the status of their flight.
By – Tom Newcombe